A legacy contact is someone you choose to look after your profile if it's memorialized. We strongly suggest setting a legacy contact so your profile can be managed once it's memorialized.
Legacy contacts can:
- Manage a memorialized account.
- Write a pinned post for the memorialized profile.
- Respond to new friend requests.
- Update the profile picture and cover photo of the memorialized account.
Legacy contacts can't:
- Log into the memorialized account.
- Remove or edit past posts.
- Read messages.
- Remove any friends.
Learn more about memorialized accounts.
Choose a legacy contact
What happens to my Facebook account if I pass away
How do I add, change or remove my legacy contact on Facebook?
Can I choose someone who isn't my Facebook friend as my legacy contact?
I am a legacy contact
How do I manage a memorialized profile on Facebook if I am a legacy contact?
How do I add a pinned post to a memorialized profile on Facebook?
What should I do if someone chose me as their legacy contact on Facebook but I don't want to be?
Request removal of a deceased family member’s Facebook account.
How do I ask a question about a deceased person's account on Facebook?
Reporting a deceased person or a Facebook account that needs to be memorialized.