When I meet someone from Facebook in person, what should I keep in mind?
Before meeting in person with someone you’ve talked to on Facebook, we recommend that you read the information below to help keep yourself safe. You are always the best judge of your own safety, and these guidelines are not meant to substitute for your own judgment.
When meeting someone from Facebook in person:
- Meet and stay in public: Make sure that the meeting location is public and has other people around (example: coffee shop, shopping mall, park).
- Familiarize yourself with the meeting spot: If possible, check out the meeting location ahead of time.
- Don’t share personal information: Use your best judgment when communicating with the other person, and don't share personal information like your home address.
- Arrange your own transportation: Set up your own transportation to and from the meeting spot to make sure you have control over when you arrive and leave.
- Tell someone about your plans: Tell a friend or family member the exact location you're planning to meet and when you plan to be back home. Consider asking another adult to come with you.
- Don’t forget your mobile phone: Bring your mobile phone with you and make sure the battery is charged.
If you feel uncomfortable or unsafe
If you are the victim of a crime or are in immediate danger, contact your local law enforcement for help.
If you ever feel pressured or uncomfortable, you can: