Why am I being asked to authenticate my payment method on Facebook?
If you’re having trouble authenticating your payment, please contact the issuing bank of your credit or debit card.
If you're using a card issued in the European Economic Area (EEA) or UK, you may be asked to authenticate your payment method when making a payment, or when you add a new payment method on Facebook.
This change complies with the second Payment Services Directive.
Authentication is determined by each card issuer and may vary by bank and by country. Please contact the issuing bank of your credit or debit card for more information.
You may be asked to authenticate your payment method when you:
- Add a new credit, debit, or prepaid card.
- Donate to a fundraiser.
- Send Stars to a streamer.
- Buy digital goods from a game on a mobile device or computer.
- Buy something from Oculus.
- Add funds to your Facebook Ads account.
- Buy a video subscription from one of our media partners for the first time.
You won’t be asked to authenticate your payment method for recurring monthly payments (e.g. if you have a video or streaming subscription) if you’ve already authenticated the credit or debit card, or PayPal on file.