Creating an Account
Create an Account
Note: you must be at least 13 years old to create a Facebook account.
To create a Facebook account:
- Go to facebook.com and click Create New Account.
- Enter your name, email or mobile phone number, password, date of birth and gender.
- Click Sign Up.
- To finish creating your account, you need to confirm your email or mobile phone number.
If you're having a problem creating a Facebook account:
To let us know about the problem you're experiencing while creating a Facebook account, you can fill out this form.
If you're having a problem logging in:
We may use your mobile phone number for purposes like:
- Helping you log in. If you forget your password, you'll need an updated mobile number or email address to reset it.
- Suggesting People You May Know so you can connect with them on Facebook.
- Showing you relevant ads. However, we don't ever sell personal information, including your mobile phone number, to anyone.
- Helping keep your account safe through opt-in features like text message or email alerts for unrecognized logins or two-factor authentication.
Learn more about how Facebook uses your phone number or email address in our Data Policy. You may see a number suggested for you when we ask you to add your mobile phone number. It will only be added to your account if you choose to add it.
We may suggest a mobile number for you based on information we receive from sources such as:
- Your mobile phone or tablet.
- Contact info provided by others on Facebook.
- A mobile number that you entered previously but didn't confirm.
When you create a new password, keep in mind:
- Your password should be easy for you to remember but difficult for others to guess.
- Your Facebook password should be different than the passwords you use to log into other accounts, like your email or bank account.
- Longer passwords are usually more secure.
- Your password should not be your email, phone number or birthday.
If you see a message letting you know the password you entered isn't strong enough, try mixing together uppercase and lowercase letters. You can also make the password more complex by making it longer with a phrase or series of words that you can easily remember, but no one else knows.
If you're having trouble creating an account with your mobile phone number:
- If you see a message that your mobile number isn't recognized, make sure you typed your mobile phone number correctly. Enter the country code (example: 91 for India) before the number.
- If you see a message that an account already exists with your mobile number, you may need to wait a few days to try adding it to your account.
- Try creating an account with an email instead of a mobile number.
- If you try to sign up for a new Facebook account with the same, or similar, phone number and password as an account you’ve already created, you will be logged into your existing account.
If you already have a Facebook account with your mobile number but forgot your password:
- You can reset your password and log into your account.
- If you don't have access to that mobile number, you can try these steps to log back into your account.
Note: If you don't have a mobile phone number, you can create an account with your email instead. Make sure you are logged out of any existing accounts before trying to create an account.
We ask everyone to use the name they go by in everyday life so that you always know who you’re connecting with. We block the use of certain names to help prevent people from creating fake or malicious accounts. We're sorry if your name was blocked by mistake.
If you're trying to create a personal account:
- Make sure that your name follows our guidelines.
- Try signing up again at facebook.com.
- If you're still having trouble signing up or if you think your name was rejected by mistake, let us know.
If you're trying to create an account to promote a business, product, organization or idea, please create a Facebook Page. Learn more about Facebook Pages.
Confirm Your Account
To finish creating an account, you need to confirm that you own the email or mobile phone number that you used to create the account:
- To confirm your mobile number, enter the code you get via text message (SMS) in the Confirm box that shows up when you log in. Learn what to do if you didn't get the SMS.
- To confirm your email, click or tap the link in the email you got when you created the account. Learn what to do if you can't find the email.
Confirming your email or mobile number helps us know that we're sending your account info to the right place.
Note: Please confirm your email or mobile number as soon as possible. You may not be able to use your account until you confirm your email or mobile number.
We're sorry you're having trouble confirming your mobile number. Here are some things you can try:
Check the number that you entered
- Click here to view the mobile number you entered.
- If you entered the wrong number, click Wrong number?.
- Enter the correct number and click Add.
Get a phone call with the code
- Click here.
- Click Did you not get the SMS?
- Click Call [mobile number].
Re-send the SMS
- Click here.
- Click Did you not get the SMS?
- Click Send SMS Again.
Use an email instead
- Click here.
- Click Wrong number?
- Enter your email and click Add.
- Try confirming your Facebook account with your email instead of a mobile number.
If you created a Facebook account with an email, we sent a confirmation link to that email. If you can't find your confirmation email:
- Check your junk mail folder. If you're using Gmail, check your Social emails.
- Make sure that you entered the correct email. If you entered the wrong email, you can change it and send the email again.
- You can try creating your Facebook account with a mobile phone number instead of an email.
If you created an account with your mobile phone number and didn't get an SMS with a confirmation code, try these steps.