If I'm tagged in a post on Facebook, will my friends be able to see it, even if it wasn't shared with them?
When someone tags you in a post, it will be visible to:
- The audience selected by the person who made the post.
- The audience you indicate in your Timeline and Tagging settings. You can choose to automatically add your friends, select specific friends or not add anyone to the audience of the post you're tagged in.
To choose your audience for posts you're tagged in:
- Click at the top right of Facebook and select Settings.
- In the left column, click Timeline and Tagging.
- Look for the setting When you're tagged in a post, who do you want to add to the audience if they aren't already in it? and click Edit to the far right.
- Select an audience (example: Only Me).
Keep in mind:
- This setting defaults to Friends, which means when you’re tagged in a post, you and your friends can see the post, even if they weren’t in the original audience.
- The post you're tagged in may be shared with the original audience, as well as the friends you suggest. These people may see it in News Feed, search and other places on Facebook.