What can I do about malicious software?
Malicious software is any harmful application or file designed to gain access to your computer or online accounts, such as your Facebook account. If you're infected, malicious software can collect information from you and take unwanted actions on your behalf (example: posting spam on your timeline).
If we think you're infected with malicious software, we may notify you and ask you to scan your computer or mobile device with recommended software.
Learn the Signs of Malicious Software
Malicious software can infect your computer or mobile device (such as a laptop or smartphone) as well as your web browser (such as Chrome or Firefox). Here are some signs that you may be infected with malicious software:
- Your account is posting spam or sending unwanted messages
- Strange or suspicious log in locations are appearing in your account history
- You see messages or posts in your activity log you don't remember sending
On your computer or mobile device
- Your applications run slower or tasks take longer than usual to complete
- You notice new applications you don't remember installing
- You notice strange pop ups or other ads without opening a web browser
On your web browser
- You notice strange pop ups or other ads you don't remember seeing before
- Your search engine or home page has changed and you don't remember changing it
If malicious software appears on your computer or mobile device, you'll want to remove it as quickly as possible to protect yourself.
Protect your Account from Malicious Software
You can remove most malicious software from your computer or mobile device by following these steps:
- Scan your device. Our partners offer several tools to help you scan and clean your computer or mobile device:
- Clean your web browser. You can remove suspicious browser add-ons or undo recent changes to your web browser settings. If you use Chrome, you can also download the Chrome Cleanup tool for help with malicious software.
- Update your web browser. Running the latest version of your web browser ensures you have the latest security updates. Facebook supports:
If your account was infected by malicious software, it is often used to follow people and like Pages you'd not want to. You can review your activity log and delete any posts you didn't mean to post and any Pages you didn't mean to like.