Using an authentication app for two-factor authentication on Facebook
Android App Help
Basic Mobile Browser Help
iPad App Help
iPhone App Help
Mobile Browser Help
Facebook Lite App Help
You can only add a third-party authentication app or other two-factor authentication method if you already have access to your Facebook account. If you can't access your Facebook account, you can learn how to try and recover it.
When you turn on two-factor authentication, you're asked to choose either a security key, text message (SMS) codes or a third-party authentication app as your primary security method. A third-party authentication app (such as Google Authenticator or LastPass) can be used to generate login codes that help us confirm it's you when you log in from a new device for the first time.
Use a third-party authentication app for login codes
- Install a third-party authentication app on your device. It's best to install the app on the device you normally use to access Facebook.
- Go to your Security and Login Settings.
- Scroll down to Use two-factor authentication and click Edit. You may be asked to re-enter your password at this point.
- Click Use Authentication App when you're asked to choose your security method.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.