What should I do if a friend posted something that suggests they may have a problem with substance abuse?

If you’re concerned that you or one of your friends has a problem with substance abuse, there are things you can do to help or get help. If you or your friend is in immediate danger, call 911.
If the danger isn't immediate:
  • Call or encourage your friend to call the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration’s (SAMHSA’s) National Helpline for free and confidential information and treatment referrals in English and Spanish:
    • 1-800-662-HELP (4357) or 1-800-487-4889 (TDD), available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
  • Take a look at, or tell your friend about SAMHSA’s Treatment Facility Locator, which provides a full list of drug and alcohol treatment programs across the United States.
  • Look into or share information about other resources that help people who want to stop using illegal drugs or misusing prescription drugs. These resources include Facing Addiction with NCADD's Addiction Resource Hub which can help you find treatment options in your area, including resources for housing and other services.
  • Seek support for yourself or your friend by contacting a family member, friend, counselor or teacher, who may be able to provide support.
  • For more information about how you can help support your friend, visit SAMHSA.
You can read more about managing substance use in our emotional health hub.
Parents and Caregivers
If you're a parent or caregiver concerned about a family member's substance use, you can contact the Partnership for Drug Free Kids and connect with one of their specialists to help develop an action plan for you and your family by using one of the following methods available in English and Spanish:
Was this helpful?