How do I choose who can see previous posts on my timeline on Facebook?
When you share something on your timeline, you can use the audience selector to choose who it's shared with. If you want to change who can see things you've already posted, you can:
- Choose a new audience for one of your past posts.
- Change who can see all of your past posts to Friends at one time with Limit Past Posts.
To choose a new audience for one of your past posts:
- Click your profile picture in the top right of Facebook.
- Scroll down to the post you want to edit.
- Click the audience selector next to the date or time on the post. The icon will be different depending on its current audience settings.
- Select who can see the post from the options that appear (example: Public, Friends, Only Me).
To change who can see all your past posts at one time:
If you'd like to limit who can see all of your past posts at one time, you can Limit Past Posts in your account settings. This will change all your past posts visible to more people than just your friends (example: posts shared with Public) to be visible to only your Friends.
- Click in the top right of Facebook.
- Select Settings & Privacy > Settings.
- In the left column, click Privacy.
- Next to Limit the audience for posts you've shared with friends of friends or Public?, click Limit Past Posts.
- Click Limit Past Posts > Limit Past Posts to confirm.
When you use Limit Past Posts to change the audience of all your past posts:
- When you Limit Past Posts, you’ll change the audience of all your past posts to Friends. If you want to change the audience of your posts back to what they were, you'll need to change the audience of each individual post. Limiting the audience of your previous posts cannot be reversed in one click.
- If you have shared a previous post with a custom audience, such as Friends except Acquaintances or Close Friends, Limit Past Posts won’t change the audience for those past posts.
- If you tagged someone in the post, the audience of the post will still include the person you tagged and people they include in posts they're tagged in. Learn more about how to change the audience of a post to just your friends when you tag someone. You can also remove the tag.
- Limit Past Posts only controls the audience for posts you've shared. If you've been tagged in someone else's post, they control the audience for their posts.
- When you share something on someone else's timeline, that person controls the audience for the post.
Learn more about how to control what people can see on your profile and timeline.