What are some tips for meeting someone from Facebook Marketplace in person?
Here are some tips for meeting a buyer or seller from Marketplace in person:
- We suggest following the guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for how to stay healthy and help prevent the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19) while buying and selling.
- Be sure to check and follow local laws and directives that may be in place during this time.
- If you're meeting someone in person, we recommend arranging your meeting in a public, well-lit area. Create and share your meeting plan with a trusted friend or family member through Messenger. You can find a local law enforcement agency near you in the United States from the USACOPS directory.
- If you choose to meet at someone’s home, consider bringing another person with you or sharing your meeting plan with family or friends.
Consider delivery options for items
- Some Marketplace items are eligible for shipping. This means that you can buy and sell items from all over the United States, not just near your location. The seller directly ships items to the buyer. Learn about the different ways to buy and sell.
- If shipping isn't available for an item, you can use a pick-up or drop-off service that works for you.
- Use your best judgment when communicating with the other person.
- Don't share personal information like your home address.
- Create a meeting plan and share it with a trusted friend or family member. You can tap Send Plan in Messenger to send your meeting plan to someone in your Facebook Friends list so they know the location, time and date of when you’re planning to meet. Plans are removed from the Messenger thread with your friend or family member after the scheduled meeting time.
- Consider asking another adult to come with you.
- Bring your mobile phone with you, and make sure that the battery is charged.
- Message the other person to tell them when you're on your way, or if you're going to be late.