What is off-Facebook activity?
Change platform:Computer Help
Off-Facebook activity is a summary of activity that businesses and organizations share with us about your interactions, such as visiting their apps or websites. They use our Business Tools, like Facebook Login or Facebook Pixel, to share this information with us.
To review your off-Facebook activity:
- Click in the top right of Facebook.
- Select Settings & Privacy, then click Settings.
- Click Your Facebook Information at the left column.
- Click Off-Facebook Activity to review. From here, you can also click Manage Your Off-Facebook Activity for more information. You'll be asked to re-enter your password.
What you see when you review your off-Facebook activity:
You'll see a summary of your activity that we receive from businesses or organizations, which includes your activity on other apps and websites.
You may see information such as:
- How we received your activity. Business and organizations can share your activity with us when they use our Business Tools. Some of these tools include the Facebook Pixel, the Facebook SDK and Facebook Login.
- The number of interactions we’ve received. Interactions are things that you've done on an app or website. They can include:
- Opening an app.
- Logging into an app with Facebook.
- Viewing content.
- Searching for an item.
- Adding an item to a shopping cart.
- Making a purchase.
- Making a donation.
- Activity from apps and websites you’ve logged into with Facebook. This activity comes from businesses or organizations who use Facebook Login. You can also manage the apps and websites you log into with Facebook in your Apps and Websites settings.
- Activity from data service providers and marketing agencies. If you don't recognize some of your activity, it may be because it was sent by a data service provider or marketing agency. Businesses and organizations may use third-party data service providers or marketing agencies to analyze and understand their customers' interactions on their apps and websites. These providers or agencies may then use our Business Tools to send your activity to us, on behalf of the business or organization.
- Activity that isn't related to any actions you’ve taken. Some activity in your summary may include updates from an app or website that aren't related to an action you've taken. We'll show you the date we received the updates.
Keep in mind, not all of your activity will show in your off-Facebook activity. For example:
- The summary doesn't contain your most recent activity. It may take a few days for your activity to show in your off-Facebook activity. The dates in your activity summary are when we received the activity.
- We receive more details and activity than what appears in your off-Facebook activity. For technical and accuracy reasons, we don’t show all the activity we’ve received. This includes things like information we’ve received when you’re not logged into Facebook, or when we can’t confirm that you’ve previously used Facebook on that device. We also don’t show details like the item you’ve added to your shopping cart.
- In some circumstances, we may disconnect your off-Facebook activity from your account for technical reasons. When this happens, the activity that has been disconnected will not be used to show you ads.
- Off-Facebook activity doesn’t include your Oculus information. Right now, off-Facebook activity doesn’t include information developers send us about your VR activity in their apps on Oculus, but we plan to include this in the future. Keep in mind, when this is available, you have to be logged into your Oculus device using your Facebook account to see this information.
Note: If you choose to disconnect your history, it'll disconnect the activity in your summary and activity that isn't shown.
What we do with your off-Facebook activity:
We use your off-Facebook activity and your activity on Facebook to:
- Show you more relevant ads. You can customize your ad experience using Ad Preferences.
- Suggest groups, events or Marketplace items you might be interested in.
- Help you discover new businesses and brands.
- Help businesses and organizations understand how their website, app or ads are performing and whether they're reaching the right people.
- Identify suspicious activity to help keep Facebook safe.
When reviewing your off-Facebook activity, keep in mind:
- We don't sell your information to anyone.
- We prohibit businesses or organizations to share sensitive information with us, such as health and financial information, your date of birth and passwords. If we determine that a business or an organization is violating our terms, we will take action against that business or organization.
Learn more about managing your off-Facebook activity.