Why can't I send or accept a friend request on Facebook?
Change platform:Computer Help
We recommend adding people you know personally as friends on Facebook. You may not be able to add someone as a friend if:
They haven’t accepted your friend request yet.
- You may have already sent them a friend request.
- Check if the friend requests you’ve sent are still pending.
You or the person you want to add have reached the friend limit.
- You can have up to 5,000 friends on Facebook. If you need to connect with more than 5,000 people, you can change your personal account to a Facebook Page.
- If you want to send another friend request, unfriend someone else first.
- If they have following enabled, follow them instead. You’ll still be able to see their public posts.
You or the person you want to add can only get friend requests from friends of friends.
- One of you may have set your privacy settings to get friend requests only from friends of friends on Facebook.
- Ask them to send you a request instead or change your privacy settings.
The friend request was deleted.
- Send them a friend request or ask them to send you one instead.
You’ve blocked them.
- To send a friend request to someone you've blocked, learn how to unblock them.
You’ve been blocked from sending friend requests.
- Learn why you’ve been blocked from sending friend requests.
You’re already friends on Facebook.