Types of IDs that Facebook accepts

Try Guided Help

Our guided help tool can walk you through the steps to resolve your issue.
If you need to confirm your name on Facebook, or if you've lost access to your account, you may be asked to send us a copy of something with your name on it. You have several different options for this, including photo IDs issued by the government, IDs from non-government organizations, official certificates or licenses that include your name or other physical items like a magazine subscription or a piece of mail.
In some cases, such as authorization for advertisers running ads about social issues, elections or politics, there may be special ID requirements.
Please only submit the required documents. Submitting more documents than necessary may delay the review process.
You can also learn more about what happens to your ID after you send it to Facebook.
Don't digitally conceal ID information
To help us prevent fake IDs and other abuses, we don't accept photos that have been digitally modified to hide information.
You can also physically cover any non-essential information on your ID, before you take a photo of the document.
Government IDs
You can send us 1 government ID to confirm your name or regain access to your account.
Anything that you send us should contain either:
  • Your name and date of birth, or
  • Your name and a photo.
Some examples of government IDs we accept include:
  • Driver’s license
  • National identity card
  • Passport
  • Birth certificate
Non-Government IDs
We understand that your authentic name may not be represented on an official, government-issued ID, or you may not have access to this type of document.
If you can't provide a government ID, you can send us 2 different non-government IDs instead.
Keep in mind:
  • Anything that you send us must include your name.
  • At least 1 of the 2 documents should include your date of birth and/or photo.
  • The name on the items that you send must be the same name that you want to show on your profile.
If you've lost access to your account, you may be asked to provide something from the list that also shows a photo or date of birth that matches the details on your Facebook account. This extra precaution helps us ensure that only you have access to your account.
Examples of non-government IDs we accept:
  • Student card
  • Library card
  • Refugee card
  • Employment verification
  • Diploma
  • Loyalty card
ID Requirements for Ads About Social Issues, Elections or Politics
If you want to run ads about social issues, elections or politics:
  • Your ID must be from the country where you want to run ads, and the name of that country must appear on your ID.
  • If your ID has an expiration date, the ID must not be expired.
  • Accepted ID types differ by country. Check which forms of identification are accepted in the country you wish to run ads.
Visit the Business Help Center to learn more about ads with political content.
Was this helpful?