How two-factor authentication works on Facebook.
Change platform:Computer Help
If you're having trouble logging into your Facebook account, review these tips first.
Two-factor authentication is a security feature that helps protect your Facebook account in addition to your password. If you set up two-factor authentication, you'll be asked to enter a special login code or confirm your login attempt each time someone tries accessing Facebook from a browser or mobile device we don't recognize. You can also get alerts when someone tries logging in from a browser or mobile device we don't recognize.
To turn on or manage two-factor authentication:
- Go to your Security and Login Settings.
- Scroll down to Use two-factor authentication and click Edit.
- Choose the security method you want to add and follow the on-screen instructions.
When you set up two-factor authentication on Facebook, you’ll be asked to choose one of three security methods:
- Tapping your security key on a compatible device.
- Login codes from a third party authentication app.
- Text message (SMS) codes from your mobile phone.
Other Useful Resources
- If you haven't saved the browser or mobile device you're using, you'll be asked to do so when you turn on two-factor authentication. This way you won't have to enter a security code when you log in again. Don't click Save this browser if you're using a public computer that other people can access (example: a library computer).
- We need to be able to remember your computer and browser information so we can recognize it the next time you log in. Some browser features block this. If you've turned on private browsing or set up your browser to clear your history every time it closes, you might have to enter a code every time you log in. Learn more.
- To set up text message (SMS) two-factor authentication, you can either use a mobile number that’s already been added to your account or add a new number. Learn more about how Facebook uses a mobile number added for two-factor authentication.
- Learn about what you can do if you turned on two-factor authentication but are now having trouble logging in.