What are some tips for buying and selling electronics on Facebook Marketplace?
We suggest following the guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for how to stay healthy and help prevent the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19) while buying and selling. Be sure to check and follow local laws and directives that may be in place during this time.
If you're meeting someone in person, we recommend arranging your meeting in a public, well-lit area or a police station. Let others know where you're headed. You can find a local law enforcement agency near you in the United States from the USACOPS directory. Read our tips for buying and selling responsibly on Marketplace and meeting someone from Marketplace in person.
Here are some tips you may want to consider when you're buying or selling electronics on Marketplace (example: phone, tablet, video game console).
Tips for selling electronics on Marketplace
- Clear your personal information from the device to help protect your privacy. If you aren't sure how to do this, ask the device manufacturer, or search online for help information about removing your personal data.
- Write down the device's serial number in case you need it later. If you aren't sure how to find your device's serial number, ask the device manufacturer or search online for help information about it. For mobile phones, you may want to find the International Mobile Equipment Identity (IMEI) number.
- Be clear about the condition of the item. Take and upload as many high-quality photos as you can. We also suggest including details about any issues or flaws, and if the item is new or used. You can always edit your listing to change the description or add photos.
- List the actual price you're asking for the item. Setting the price as $1 or another too-low price can be confusing or misleading for buyers, and goes against our Commerce Policies.
- Get to know the person you're selling to by visiting their commerce profile. You can see their profile picture, any ratings they've received from other buyers and sellers, and when their Facebook account was created.
- After the sale is complete, mark the item as sold and rate the buyer to help other people who are considering buying or selling to them on Marketplace.
Tips for buying electronics on Marketplace
Issues with buying or selling on Marketplace