When I post something on Facebook, how do I choose who can see it?
Change platform:Computer Help
The audience selector can be found in most places where you share content on Facebook, such as posts, photos and for some information on your profile.
To choose who you share content with:
- At the top of your News Feed or profile, click What’s on your mind? From here, you can do things like post a status update, photo, video or check in to an event.
- Below your name, click the audience selector (example: Friends).
- Click the audience you’d like to see your content (example: Friends, Public or Only Me). Learn more about the audiences you can choose on Facebook.
The audience selector will also appear on things you've already shared, so you can see who you've shared each post with. After you've shared a post, you have the option to change who it's shared with.
When sharing on Facebook, keep in mind:
- Some things you share on Facebook will always be public. For example, when you post or comment in a public group, your post or comment will be public and can be seen by anyone. Learn more about public information on Facebook.
- When you select an audience for your post, the audience selector will use the same audience when you share a post again unless you change it. For example, if you choose Public for something you’re posting right now, your next post will also be Public.
- When you change the audience on one device, the audience will update on all devices. For example, if you change the audience of your post on your computer, it will also change the audience of your post in your app.
- Your post will show up in News Feed, on your profile and in search results.
- When you post to another person's profile, that person controls who can see the post.
- When you post, people in the audience may be able to see it across the Facebook Products.
- If you tag someone in a post, the tagged person’s friends may also see the post.
- If you’ve chosen to lock your profile, your sharing choices are more restricted.
Other ways to manage who can see your content:
- Review and update your privacy settings for your profile.
- Limit who can see your past posts.
- Go to your Activity Log to review your posts and things you’ve been tagged in.
- Visit your Profile and Tagging settings to manage things like who can see what other people post on your profile and review who can see content you’re tagged in.
- Edit basic info on your Facebook profile and choose who can see it.