What is Facebook Protect and how do I turn it on?
Change platform:Computer Help
We’re currently rolling out Facebook Protect to more and more users around the world. People who are eligible for Facebook Protect will see prompts on Facebook to learn about the program and enroll. If you are not eligible for Facebook Protect but want to help improve your account security, you can learn how to turn on two-factor authentication. With two-factor authentication, you can add additional security protections to your account by logging in using a security key, login codes from a third-party authentication app, or by getting text message (SMS) codes sent to your mobile phone.
What is Facebook Protect?
We know that certain people in the public eye can become a target for account compromise attempts on social media platforms, including Facebook. Accounts that face increased risk may need additional protection, that's why we created Facebook Protect. Facebook Protect helps these high-target accounts adopt stronger security protections by simplifying security features like two-factor authentication. It also provides additional security protections for people's accounts and Pages, including monitoring for potential hacking threats.
I received a notification that says I’m required to turn on Facebook Protect.
Some accounts with the potential to reach lots of people may require stronger security. That’s why those accounts are required to enable Facebook Protect.
How do I turn on Facebook Protect?
To turn on Facebook Protect:
- Click in the top right of Facebook.
- Click Settings & Privacy, then click Settings.
- Click Security and Login.
- Under Facebook Protect, click Get Started.
- On the welcome screen, click Next.
- On the Facebook Protect benefits screen, click Next.
- We’ll scan your account for potential vulnerabilities and make suggestions on what to fix as you turn on Facebook Protect. Common suggestions of what to fix include choosing a stronger password or enabling two-factor authentication.
- Click Fix Now and follow the on-screen instructions to finish turning on Facebook Protect. .
I can’t access Facebook Protect.
We’re slowly releasing Facebook Protect to more and more users. If you don’t see a way to turn on Facebook Protect but want to improve your account security. You can learn how to turn on two-factor authentication. With two-factor authentication, you can add additional security protections to your account by logging in using a security key, login codes from a third-party authentication app, or by getting text message (SMS) codes sent to your mobile phone.